It’s so important to make sure you are prepared to keep your dog cool this summer. All pets must be kept in cool, shady areas. It’s ideal to keep pets inside on hot, humid days. Here are some tips and tricks to help keep Fido cool!
- Make sure there is always water and shade available for your furry friend!
- Keep nice cold water out and bring pets inside when it’s too hot. Fill a kiddie pool with water on hot days for Fido to play in, or put a sprinkler on.
- Go for walks on off hours, the sun is hottest from 12-2 pm. Try to go for walks in the early morning or late evening and watch for humidity. When the air is full of moisture, your dog may not be able to pant enough to cool himself off.
- Watch for signs of overheating!
- Make dog-friendly ice pops! Use pet-friendly foods like blueberries and freeze them in an ice mold. These ice cubes can be given on hot days, as treats to keep Fido cool. You can also use meat broths and veggies, whatever Fido prefers!
- Never leave your dog in a vehicle, not even for a few minutes! Even when it isn’t that hot outside, the temperature will soar inside a closed vehicle. If you need to go places, leave him at home, or take him to places he can come with you.
Written by Brooke Williams, Client Care Representative